Joan Hogetsu Hoeberichts, Sensei, LCSW, LMFT, MBA is the Head Teacher of the Heart Circle Sangha in Ridgewood, NJ where she offers ongoing meditation, conducts meditation retreats, teaches Zen workshops, and offers koan study. She is also the co-founder of the Psycho-Spiritual Healing Project, a continuing joint project of the Heart Circle Sangha and Sarvodaya in Sri Lanka to bring counseling skills to local para-professionals following the tsunami of 2004. Joan leads a team of American therapists who travel to Sri Lanka to teach the requisite skills. Joan previously had a career as a business executive.
Joan is a full time psychotherapist with a private practice in New York City and Montclair, NJ. She is a certified Imago Relationship therapist, a licensed Marriage and Family therapist, a Certified Group Practitioner, a Sand Play Therapist, an EMDR practitioner for truama and a Certified Pastoral Psychotherapist. She completed psychoanalytic psychotherapy training at Blanton-Peale Graduate Institute. She has authored several articles and recently published a chapter in Into the Mountain Stream, Psychotherapy and Buddhist Experience, ed. Paul Cooper.
Joan’s expertise is in the following areas:
- Helping families in conflict find better ways to understand one another and communicate
- Helping couples struggling with relationship find their way back to reconnection
- Working with depressed or acting out teens
- Facilitating recovery from early and recent trauma
- Reducing stress and anxiety
- Facilitating personal spiritual journeys
- Working with artists and writers
- Coaching executives